Wednesday, June 22, 2011

A Successful Vacation

I am proud to report that vacation wasn't a complete disaster!  When I weighed myself after we got home, I had only gained 3.6 pounds.  I consider that a successful vacation.  When we went to Jamaica last year I gained 6 pounds!  I was kind of expecting that this year.

I was bad on vacation.  Well, let me define bad.  By bad, I mean that I didn't track anything that I ate.  I was somewhat concious of what I put into my mouth, but I wasn't overly concerned with it.  On the 2 day drive to DC, we ate a lot of snacks in the car...chips, Combo's, and beef jerkey were the staples.  I did have some tomatoes and light ranch too.  We also hit up White Castle on the way out because we can't get it here in KC.  It was good, but I decided that it's much better when you're drunk.  :) 

The night we got into DC we went to a seafood restaurant.  I figured that would be somewhat healthy.  I mean, seafood is low in points.  Well, when they brought the bread basket to the table it had your standard dinner rolls, but also a chopped up cinnamon roll.  Huh?  It was kind of cold so fortunately I was able to leave that alone.  We ordered the crab dip for 2 as an appetizer.  It was basically huge chunks of crab in a bath of cream cheese and parmesean, served with an entire french loaf.  We ran out of bread before we ran out of dip so I finished it off with a spoon.  It was a little self indulgent, yes, but very good.  For dinner, we split 2 entrees.  My husband got a shrimp po-boy sandwich.  It was really good and had spinach on it so I got a vegetable.  I ordered the crab casserole, which was crab in a cream and white wine sauce with cheese on top.  Very delicious.  The portion was small, especially since we split it, so that wasn't too bad.  For desert I had an italian ice that was under 100 calories. 

On Sunday and Monday we did a lot of walking.  I estimated that we did about 12 miles on Sunday alone.  I calculated that between the 2 days I earned 42 activity points.  Surely that took care of the junk that I ate in the car the 2 days prior.  We indulged in some chinese food, but made it last 2 nights, and had pretty sensible lunches.

Then we got to North Carolina.  The food was reasonable until Friday.  My sister-in-law is from Columbia, and her mom and aunt had come into town for my neice's graduation.  As soon as they got there they started cooking.  Everything was sooooo good, but I feel like all I did on Friday was eat...oh, and drink.  My brother-in-law found the caribbean beer that I like, so of course I had to indulge.  It was worth every bit of the points it cost me to drink it.  Oh, and there was a lot of regular Mountain Dew drinking.  Normally I drink diet.

Saturday and Sunday we were in the car again.  The snacks weren't quite as bad.  On Saturday we only ate breakfast and dinner, which wasn't too bad.  Sunday of course involved one last stop at White Castle.  This time we went in to order and I noticed that they had loaded fries.  That would be crinkle cut fries with bacon, cheese, and ranch dressing on top.  They were fantastic!

Considering all of this, 3.6 pounds isn't bad at all.  As of this morning I've lost all of that, plus another .4 pounds.  I will gladly take that.  I've been sticking to just my daily points this week in an attempt to actually have a loss at weigh-in on Saturday.  I'm also craving healthier foods, which helps.  Had I been diligent about tracking, I probably could have lost weight on vacation with all of the walking that we did.  Maybe I'll give that shot when we take our cruise next March. 

No comments:

Post a Comment