Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Talk About A Challenge!

So, my husband came to me this morning and asked what I thought of giving up, processed foods for 1 month.  At first, I thought he was crazy!  I always said that I could never be a clean eater.  I like my "convenience" foods to much.  After talking more about it, we've decided to try to avoid as much high-fructose corn syrup as possible, as well as artificial sweeteners, like aspertame. 

That seemed a little more do-able, especially after taking a look at ingredients for the dinners I'm planning on making for the next couple of weeks.  We are going live with this experiment on July 1st.  I think it's going to be easier for Kevin than it will be for me.  He's not going to have to give up a lot of stuff.  I'm going to have to give up diet soda, Diet Snapple, Clamato, and ketchup.  This will be no easy task for me. 

I think my biggest isssue will be the beverages.  I really can't exist on just water.  I hate drinking water.  I detest it.  And now, all of my alternative no-calorie drinks are off the menu.  Even Crystal Light powder.  I may have to resort to drinking sweet iced tea made with Splenda.  For those who know me pretty well would have thought that the ketchup would be the bigger issue.  Ironically, I actually like ketchup made with real sugar.  If it's good enough to eat in Jamaica, it's good enough to eat at home!  I am excited for the meal possibilities that are going to come out of this.  I told my husband that he's going to be doing a lot of grilling for dinner.  I'm really glad that I bought some skewers this spring. 

I'm hoping this will be good for the scale.  I lost 2.2 pounds after coming back from vacation, which was awesome, but this week hasn't been so hot.  I've been hungry, and for all the wrong things.  I also haven't been tracking like I should.  I get that tracking is the basic premise of Weight Watchers, but I've fallen off the bandwagon.  I did great last week, but I knew I had some ground to make up.  I don't know why I can't get my head into the game.  I really want to hit 20 pounds, and my 10%, which I'm very close to, but I just can't get the motivation to faithfully do what I know I need to do.  Maybe the new way of eating will give me the jumpstart I need.

2 comments:

  1. This is awesome! I want to do this so badly...but, unfortunately, I'm unemployed and don't have the good fortune of doing my own grocery shopping and live with a family who detest eating healthy (talk about a dieting challenge!).

    But, I'm a big fan of Jillian Michaels and listen to her talk so much about how all of the processed garbage we consume can hurt our health...so, I definitely think it's something worth doing. Also, if you're going to be eating Splenda still, Diet Rite is made with Splenda :) Also, you could try Stevia for your sweet tea :) It's an all natural, zero-calorie, zero-carb sweetener.

    Good luck! And keep up the awesome work! It's always inspirational and you're so close to your 20lb goal! You'll get there soon, I'm sure! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job on Vacation!!!! I can't wait to hear when you hit that 20# mark and your 10% too.....

    I know you are a Heinz ketchup girl but Hunts doesn't have corn syrup. It's made with sugar.... Just a thought....

    ReplyDelete