Monday, January 24, 2011

Birthday Cake Counts as a Salad if You Put a Crouton on Top

*Title compliments of my FB friend, Norman.

Before I started this journey, the saying of  "fat = flavor" was on my mind  It's true.  Fat does equal flavor.  Which tastes better?  A nice marbled ribeye with butter spread over it right before serving or some steamed veggies?  Which tastes better?  Mayo or mustard on your sandwich?  Which tastes better?  French fries or a plain baked potato?  I chose "A" on all of the questions.  Then I started thinking, "well, God made the food system this way, maybe He just wants us to be fat."  I know that is absolutely ridiculous, but I had the entire conversation in my head.  I was trying to use it as a justification to sit on my fat, lazy behind and do nothing about my problem. 

I used to try to justify being overweight all the time.  I used to hope I would get pregnant because then I would have a reason to be fat.  I would lie to myself and say I was working out more than I really was, or that I was eating less than I really was.  I would use the weather as an excuse not to go to the gym, even when I really could have made it.  I would make horrible food choices all while telling myself that I was going to make a better choice tomorrow, but that better choice never happened for any number of reasons.  It was easier to lie to myself and make excuses than deal with the problem. 

I've always looked for the easiest way to deal with things.  I used to call it being efficient.  No, I know that it's being lazy.  Nothing worth having is ever easy.  No one is going to wave their pink, bedazzled wand and make me instantly skinny and healthy.  I used to think it was that easy and it would happen.  I would binge and get on the scale the next morning expecting my weight to be lower.  I really was delusional. 

I've come to realize and admit that the only one who can fix this is me.  No one else can make me skinny or healthy.  No one else can force me to make the right decisions.  No one can force me to go to the gym.  No one can force healthy food down my throat.  It's all on me.  Sometimes, that's a really scary thought.  But I look back at my life and think of the things I've been through and I start to realize that I'm strong enough to do this.  No more justifying, no more excuses.  I am going to do this.

"A wish changes nothing, a decision changes everything." - Martha Atkinson, my Weight Watcher's leader.

4 comments:

  1. wow!! jen, i am just feeling this post so much. i have a lot of the same delusions and then i go to try on clothes and wonder why nothing i've picked up in the store fits right or why nothing i put on in my closet goes over even my chest!! all i can say is wow, you hit the nail on the head with the hammer on this one for me. thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this blog and what your doing is amazing - I have felt done everything you describe and know how horrid it is to feel or indeed to be overweight/fat...the nightmare of going shopping the delusions of what you really are eating/doing...all I can say is keep going your writing is inspiring and as someone who is about to get married and still feels like a marsh mellow
    - Thankyou :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. flavor is all about what you're used to. pretty soon you'll be lovin those steamed veggies!! :) keep it up, sis. you've inspired me as well. i'm making time for the gym now. making it a priority instead of a "if i have time" kind of thing. it's just part of my schedule for the day. little changes over time that become habit. good job!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way to go Jen! I have loved reading your first few blogs and look forward to many more. Here is to celebrating many victories on our way back to healthy!!!

    ReplyDelete