Monday, January 31, 2011

Snowtorious BIG - and Carb Cravings

So I'm sitting here on the couch with the Ginger Midget (my 7 month old Pembroke Welsh Corgi), and the hubby watching Intervention on TV and keeping an eye on the live weather blog in another browser.  The locals have dubbed this impending blizzard "Snowtorious BIG".  We've had freezing mist all day today and our front walk and driveway is a sheet of ice.  Depending on which news station you listen to we are supposed to get anywhere between 6 and 18 inches in downtown (about 5 minutes north of my house).  Then we're supposed to have 30-40 mile an hour winds and bitterly cold temperatures to go with it.  I'm looking forward to the 6 activity points I'll earn from shoveling the driveway, but I'm not looking forward to getting out in it tomorrow.  The department of transportation is recommending that if you don't have to get out in the next 48 hours to just stay at home.  I'm planning on going into work tomorrow morning, but we'll see how it is when I get up in the morning.

Tonight I made the Weight Watcher's chicken pot pies.  They turned out really, really good!!!  For anyone on WW, they are 7 points per serving, for anyone else, sorry, I do not have the nutritional value, but we estimated them to be about 350 calories. 

Individual Chicken Pot Pies - 4 servings
  • 2 tablespoons flour
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 1 bag frozen mixed vegetables
  • 1/2 cup white wine
  • 1 cup chicken broth
  • 3/4 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 2 canned buttermilk biscuits
  1. Preheat oven to 375.
  2. In a saute pan, melt butter over medium high heat.  Add onion, and cook for 3-4 minutes, until they start to become translucent.  Add chicken and veggies and cook until chicken is no longer pink.  Add flour and stir until it mixes in completely.
  3. Add wine and chicken broth slowly, stirring constantly so you don't get lumps.  Add rosemary, salt, and pepper.  Bring to a boil and boil until thick, or about 15 minutes.
  4. Coat 4 10 ounce ramekins with non-stick cooking spray.  Spoon mixture evenly into the ramekins. 
  5. Cut each biscuit in half and put half a biscuit on each ramekin.  Place ramekins on a baking sheet and put in oven.  Cook about 15 minutes, or until biscuits are brown and mix is bubbling.
This dinner was perfect for tonight because I have been craving carbs today.  I had rice at lunch, the pot pie for dinner, and then I ate an extra biscuit for desert.  I also had a Kit Kat at lunch.  I know you may think that falls into the chocolate category, but for me, it's about the sugar and the carbs.  I still want more.  I've eaten 36 points today (5 over my daily alottment) and I'm still hungry.  I want to eat that other left over biscuit and I want a Mountain Dew.  A bloody mary sounds fantastic as does some chips and salsa.  Oh, and now I saw an add for Denny's and I want pancakes.  Darn you carb cravings!!!  I think I'm just going to have to dip into some of those bonus points for the week and find something to get me over this craving. 

3 comments:

  1. Something I learned about eating carbs is that they don't satisfy, but they make me hungry for more. Carbs, for me, are addictive. I baked cookies today which was supposed to make 72 cookies. I only got 45 baked. I'm a sucker for cookie dough and couldn't stop having a bite every time I checked on the oven or found an excuse to walk through the kitchen. All the nibbles add up...you taught me that in a previous post....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Craving are the worst! I can handle stomach growling hunger better than cravings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jen,
    I haven't done WW in 10 years (2001, but still 5 lbs less than goal weight), but even now, when I get a craving, I just eat something spicy or FULL of flavor. Sometimes and extra hot spicy pickle does the trick. Carbwise, what about a baked potato with salsa and just a sprinkle of cheese. The snow...makes us crave carbs.

    ReplyDelete