Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Let's Change it Up

I'm finding that it's a lot easier to stay on track with my lifestyle change and weight loss journey when things are either going really good, or really bad.  This week has been just kind of ho-hum.  I've had a few stumbles, but nothing too serious.  The scale is moving downward, slowly but surely.  There just isn't anything to jump for joy over or to beat myself up about.  I've found that this can very easily lead to complacincy. 

I've kind of been on auto pilot for the last week or so.  I've been taking the same foods and snacks with me to work every day.  I know that if I grab those things I stay within my points.  But it makes it so much easier to go out for lunch when I've already brought my food, because then I get to taste something different.  I went to the grocery store last night with a surprisingly short list for the next 2 weeks.  Had I stuck to my list, I could have gotten out of the store with about 3 bags and having spent only $40-$50.  But, I decided that I needed some new foods and snacks to break out of the boredom. 

I went up and down every single isle at the grocery store and looked for things that both sounded good and were somewhat healthy.  I had my points calculator pulled up on my phone and I think I checked about half of the foods on the shelf.  I ended up buying almost 3 times the amount of food I went in for, but I'm actually excited to try my new goodies today.  I really think this is going to be the key to keep me from splurging at lunch.

Here's my menu plan for today so far...

Breakfast: 7 points
     Jimmy D's French Toast Griddler - 6 points
     Apple - 0 points
     Can of Tomato Juice - 1 point

Lunch: 10 points
     Marie Calendars Rosemary Chicken with Sweet Potatoes - 4 points
     Reduced Fat Wheat Thins (29grams) - 3 points
     1 Wedge Laughing Cow Light Garlic and Herb Cheese - 1 point
     Jell-o Sugar-free Chocolate Pudding - 2 points

Afternoon Snack: 2 ponits
     Apple - 0 points
     Special K Chocolate Chip Cookie Bar - 2 points

Dinner: 7 points
     WW Potato Chowder - 6 points
     1/4 cup Kraft fat-free Cheddar Cheese - 1 point

That's a lot of food!  And I'm only at 26 of my 31 points for the day, so I can have a snack after dinner. I'm finding that it's important to have variety in my diet.  If I get bored, I binge, and binging isn't good.  I constantly have to remind myself that I'm not on a diet, but instead I'm changing my lifestyle.  Every day I need to ask myself, "Am I willing to eat like this for the rest of my life?"   If the answer is no, then I'm probably in a food rut and need to dig myself out.

2 comments:

  1. Special K Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars are super yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa, I'm glad someone likes them...I thought they were terrible! I think I was expecting more chocolate chip cookie and less airy granola bar. Fortunately, Kevin likes them.

    ReplyDelete