Sunday, February 27, 2011

Week 8 - Beef and Ricotta Lasagna

So I'm into my 8th week of this weight-loss journey.  So far things are moving along quite nicely.  I lost another pound last week for a total of 10.4 pounds.  I have 69.6 pounds to go until I hit goal.  I'm excited to get that weight off.  I would say I'm excited to get to the end of this journey, but it's going to take the rest of my life to maintain the weight loss. 

I'm loving this new lifestyle.  It's not always easy.  There are days when I want to eat everything in sight.  There are days I don't want to go to the gym.  But so far, I'm making more good choices than bad, and that's what matters.  I've been very excited to learn that I can eat out without totally blowing it.  Today, my mom and I went to Outback Steakhouse for lunch.  I found out that you can ask for your entree "on the lighter side."  That means they prepare your meal with no fats, butters, oils, etc.  I got a 6 ounce sirloin, plain baked sweet potato, and season vegetables, on the lighter side.  I got a huge plate of food for 10 points.  The veggies were fantastic, and with a little bit of salt the sweet potato was phenominal.  The steak was really good and flavorful as well.  All with no butter.  I think its my new favorite dinner spot. 

I also tried a great new recipe tonight.  I made lasagna for the first time.  I was really nervous, but it turned out really good.  the portion size is huge, and it's healthy!

Beef and Ricotta Lasagna - serves 8

1 1/2 pound ground beef (extra lean)
4 cups Marinara sauce
1 8 ounce box of oven ready lasagna noodles (12 noodles)
2 1/2 cups fat free ricotta cheese
1 1/4 cup reduced fat mozzarella
1 Tablespoon dried basil
2 Tablespoons minced garlic

Preheat oven to 375.  Spray 9x13 pan with Pam.

Spray large skillet with Pam and put over medium heat.  Add beef, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper.  Cook until beef is browned and all liquid is evaporated (10 minutes).  Tilt skillet to drain off any fat that might be left in the pan.  Meanwhile mix basil and garlic with ricotta.

Spread 1 cup marinara sauce over the bottom of the baking dish.  Cover with 4 lasagna noodles, overlapping them slightly as needed.  Cover with half of the beef, dot with 1 1/4 cup ricota mixture and spread another 1 cup marinara on top.  Add another 4 noodles, and cover with remaining beef, ricotta mixture, and another 1 cup of sauce.  Add remaining 4 noodles, spread remaining sauce on top and sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.

Spray foil with Pam, cover dish with foil, and bake for 30 minutes.  Remove foil and continue to bake another 15 minutes.  Let cool for 15 minutes, cut into 8 squares and serve.

10 points plus per serving
390 calories, 10g fat, 33g carb, 43g protein, 2g fiber

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment