Monday, May 9, 2011

Christmas In May

As I've written before, I'm always on the look-out for low cal/low points recipes and foods.  Not once did it dawn on me to try to reduce the points in some of my favorite "bad" recipes.  I also never really bothered to check the points on some of my favorites because I just assumed they wouldn't be worth the points.  This has been a HUGE mistake.  Let me explain.

Last week I was working on my grocery list.  I'm getting kind of sick of my usual snacks, as they pretty much all seem to be chip related.  All of the sudden my grandma popped into my head.  I started thinking about all of the yummy food that she used to make.  Then I thought of one of her holiday specialties, ham roll-ups.  In case you don't know what a ham roll- up is (Sarah, Lisa, Rachel - I know you know what I'm talking about), it's where you take a piece of ham, slather on some cream cheese, and then roll up a dill pickle inside it.  I don't know why I had never bothered to check the points on this ymmy treat before.  Probably because we only have them at Christmas.

At the grocery store I found Oscar Mayer deli ham (smoked) for 1 point per 3 slices.  Then I picked up some fat free cream cheese, for 1 point per 2 tablespoons.  Add in some Claussen pickles and you're set.  I figured out that I can have 6 ham roll-ups for 4 points (1 slice ham, half a small Claussen pickle, and half a tablespoon of fat free cream cheese per roll-up.)  Hello 10am snack!  Plus, unlike the pop chips I've been eating, this snack has protein. 

No more waiting for Christmas!

6 comments:

  1. Update - they are 5 points for 6 roll-ups, but only 2 points for 3.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy! Now I'm craving ham roll ups! I think I might try them with the Oscar Meyer Deli Fresh Smoked Turkey I have in the fridge (it's 6 slices for 1 pt). Of course then they would be turkey roll ups. LOL ;~)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had never thought to try ham roll-ups. I have become the official ham roll-up maker for our group down here in Texas. Every Christmas I have to make LOTWS!!! My favorites are the ones I make with green onions... Definately going to be adding them to my snack menu. THANKS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dad usually makes them up here. I remember a few years ago he forgot to get the stuff until Christmas morning and managed to buy all the ingredients at the gas station.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just did some playing around and posted a recipe for TURKEY roll-ups that are 2pts for 6 roll-ups.

    ReplyDelete