Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Food Finds

I am always on the look-out for new recipes and diffent foods that are really good points bargains.  I spend hours going through cook-books or recipe websites.  I'll spend hours at the grocery store calcuating the points values on countless foods, trying to find the best bang for my points buck.  Today, I seem to have hit the jackpot thanks to Weight Watchers and my boss's boss's wife.  (yes, there should be 2 boss's there.)

First are the tortillas.  I got an email from my boss's boss's wife telling me about some 1 point tortillas she found.  I was excited to hear about it and was planning on picking up some to try this weekend.  Well, much to my surprise, one showed up on my desk today! (Thanks Nicki!)  After dinner I decided to try it.  Let me just tell you, they are fantastic!!!  Here's the info...

Ole Mexican Foods - Xtreme Wellness High Fiber, Low Carb Tortillas
71 Calories, 2g fat, 5g carbs, 12g fiber, 8g protein

These are burrito size tortillas, and with that much fiber, very filling.  I'm seeing all kinds of new dishes on my menu like tacos, quesadillas, breafast burritos, and enchilladas.  I actually dipped the one I had tonight in some salsa and it was fantastic just like that...and only 1 point!

The second food find of the day was dinner.  I bought the new Weight Watchers complete cookbook at Costco a few weeks back.  This recipe came out of there.  It's for smoky turkey chili, and it was fantastic! It is a thick chili, not a soupy chili.   Here you go, enjoy!
  • 1 pound ground skinless turkey breast (I put it in raw and it turned out great)
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 1 red bell pepper, chopped
  • 4 garlic cloves, chopped
  • 3 (15 1/2 ounce) cans small white beans, rinsed and drained (I used Great Northern Beans)
  • 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes (feel free to double if you want juicier chili)
  • 1 cup ketchup
  • 1 (4 1/2 ounce) can chopped mild green chiles
  • 3 Tablespoons chili powder
  • 2 Tablespoons honey (I would probably half this next time because it turned out a bit sweet)
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1/4 teaspoon hickory liquid smoke
  • 2 teaspoons instant espresso powder (I couldn't find any so I left it out)
  • Chopped fresh parsley (optional)
  1. Combine turkey, onion, bell pepper, and garlic in a 5-6 quart slow cooker.  Stir in all remaining ingredients.  Cover and cook until flavors are blended and chili is slightly thickened, 4-5 hours on high, or 8-10 hours on low.  Serve sprinkled with parsley.
Serving size: 1 1/4 cups
5 Points Plus per serving
232 calories, 2g fat, 32g carbs, 8g fiber, 23g protein
*For an added point you can add 2 tablespoons of fat free sour cream and 2 tablespoons of fat free cheddar cheese.  I highly suggest it :)

Bon Appetit!

2 comments:

  1. Hi! I'm a college student finishing a bachelor's in nutrition and this looks fantastic! It's very similar to the chili I make! One suggestion: instead of sour cream use plain greek yogurt. You'll never know it's not sour cream it's tastes just like it, and is so much better for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. we have been eating the xtreme wellness tortillas too; they are really good and we use them a lot.

    ReplyDelete