Wednesday, April 20, 2011

But I'm Still Hungry!

I find myself saying that after almost every meal.  Even when the dinner I had was 8 or 9 points, has tons of protein and fiber, and I've eaten all of my points for the day, I'll still say I'm hungry.  It never made sense to me and it used to frustrate me.  But today at lunch I had an "ah ha" moment.

I need to redefine my sense of being full.  I have gotten so used to eating until I was stuffed, that it's hard for my brain to tell when I'm really satisfied and full.  If my stomach isn't bloated and hurting after a meal, I equate that with still being hungry. 

I'm struggling with that today.  For lunch I had a Lean Cuisine Garlic Chicken Pizza and a cup of sugar-free pudding.  My total lunch was 11 points, and tasted very yummy.  I didn't over-eat, but I didn't under-eat either.  I feel comfortable, and in the logical side of my brain I know that I'm satisfied and not really hungry, but the emotional side of my brain is telling me that I didn't have enough food.  Now the birthday cake sitting on the desk across the floor is staring me in the face saying, "Come eat me because you're still hungry!" 

I've realized that I need to make a conscious effort to really recognize not only my hunger signals, but also my satiety signals.  Lets be honest, the hunger signals are much easier to recognize and deal with.  Starting today I'm going to give that logical side of my brain a fighting chance to take over the emotional side of my brain when it comes to being satisfied with my food. 

Today, I'm going to plan out my meals and snacks for the rest of the week (I usually only do it 1 day at a time).  I am going to commit to only eating what is already in my food journal, and take the time to reflect after each meal to really, logically, evaluate my hunger/satiety level.  I commit to no longer being stuffed!

No comments:

Post a Comment