Friday, April 22, 2011

Know Before You Go

Today, I was once again reminded of the importance of planning ahead, as well as making sure you have information available.  Lunch made me think back to a couple of weeks into my journey when I unknowingly ate a 32 point baked potato for dinner. 

Today, after a mid-morning doctor appointment, my husband and I decided to go to Pei Wei for lunch.  For those of you who haven't heard of Pei Wei, it's PF Chang's fast food restaurant.  My mom and I had gone a few weeks ago for lunch, so I thought I had saved the nutritional information in my WW app on my phone.  Well, we got to the restaurant and I found out that I did not have it saved.  I didn't feel like searching all the way back to try to find the date we went, so I ordered what I thought wouldn't be too bad.  I normally get the mongolian shrimp, but I didn't want all of the sodium from the sauce since I have to weigh-in tomorrow morning.  I got a cup of hot and sour soup and 4 crab wontons.  I knew the soup was higher there than other restaurants, but I couldn't remember the points exactly.  I know on the old program the crab wontons weren't that horrible either, and I knew I could keep my sodium down as well. 

After we got done eating, my husband found an app on his phone that has Pei Wei's nutritional information.  The soup was 5 points.  That's not a huge deal, I had 17 available for lunch.  Then I looked at the crab wontons.  Well, come to find out, 4 of them are 9 points.  Ouch!  I mean, in the grand scheme of things it wasn't a big deal.  That still left me with 3 points, and I had already entered my dinner, so I didn't have to count that.  It actually did fill me up, so I wasn't left hungry.  But it just goes to show that you can't guess on points.

I have been doing Weight Watchers for 15 weeks now.  There are days when I feel like I'm completely new at it, and I'm really careful about tracking every morsel that goes into my mouth, and making sure I make good, healthy decisions.  Then there are days when I'm overly confident, feel like I know it all, and those are usually the days when I eat something without checking the points first, and it burns me. 

Tomorrow morning is weigh-in.  I know I'm going to be down, which is awesome!  I don't want to speculate as to how much because I don't want to be disappointed if I retain water overnight.  I stayed completely with-in my points the last couple of days and it's been a pretty good week.  I didn't get in as much activity as I would have liked, but that all changes on Sunday.  I'll let you know how I do!

2 comments:

  1. so "been there done that"... I had only been on WW for a couple weeks and I was out with a church group. We had Chick-Fil-A and I was doing REALLY well with my points so I splurged on a brownie... without checking the points of course... that stinkin little brownie was 10 points! That was a huge wake-up for me..... Can't wait to hear how it goes in the morning!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did that the first morning I was on WW. I stopped and got 2 sausage cheese and jalapeño kolaches for breakfast on the way to clinical and for lunch had a turkey and provolone sandwich from the cafeteria at the hospital. I don't remember the exact points, but dinner that night was a little tricky with the few points I had left!

    ReplyDelete