Friday, April 1, 2011

The Art of Self-Sabotage

I think I'm the master of this art.  If not the master, then I could definitely give anyone a run for their money.  I had an epic performance last night.  Let me explain.

Yesterday started off pretty good.  I was a bit frustrated that the scale hasn't moved all week, especially after a rather intense water aerobics session, but at the same time I hadn't drank all of my water on Wednesday and I had been a little sparse with the food, so that could be part of the problem.  I had the day off since it was Opening Day for the Royals.  I convinced my husband to walk down to Brookside for breakfast, a walk that is 6 miles round trip.  I wanted and felt that I needed the extra exercise.  So off we go at 6:22am.  It was a great walk.  I was breathing hard, and we were really moving.  Once it was time to order I made the executive decisions to order breakfast potatoes instead of fruit.  I was originally going to order the fruit in an attempt to keep breakfast somewhat low point, but lunch plans had changed so it wasn't a big deal.  After breakfast we swung by the coffee shop with the really good cupcakes.  I mean, we were already there, why not?  They had one big red velvet cupcake, and a whole bunch of mini red velvet cupcakes.  I decided to be good and just got a mini one.  The walk back was just as good, still moving at a good pace and still breathing hard.

For lunch we were originally going to go to Arthur Bryant's for BBQ, a Kansas City landmark.  But I knew I just couldn't pull it off in the points department.  So I suggested we all go to The Mixx, and everyone was on board.  I my usual, a steak salad and sweet potato fries, but I didn't eat very many of the fries.  Shocking, I know. 

I was beyond good at the ballpark.  It was mandatory that I walk around and see what each food stall had to offer, just so I would know, but I wasn't tempted by anything.  Towards the end of the game when it was almost 6:30 I started to get hungry and a hot dog was sounding (and smelling) really good, but I didn't give in.

The sabotage came after the game.  I didn't see a plate of nacho's the entire day at the ballpark, but for whatever reason I was craving Mexican food.  I said something in the car and we decided to go to El Maguey for dinner.  I was bad.  I was beyond bad.  I didn't do my research first.  I didn't look up any points values.  I was good in the fact that I stayed away from the burritos and chimichanga's (2 of my personal favorites), but I ate way too many chips (you know it's bad when your husband whisper's to you "You need to be careful, " and you just give him the evil eye), and I ordered a quesadilla.  Said quesadilla came complete with shrimp and refried beans in the middle, then it was drenched in a white cheese sauce, and served with rice, quacamole, and sour cream.  I only ate a couple fork-fulls of rice.  I left the quac and most of the sour cream alone.  But I ate the whole quesadilla.  It could have been worse, but it could have been a whole lot better.  This was all bad enough, but add to the mix that I was eating between 7:00 and 8:00.

I'm sure you can imagine what the scale said this morning.  It had moved alright, but not in the right direction.  I went way over my points yesterday and took in way too much sodium.  I am trying to combat that today by drinking a ton of water (I feel like I'm going to burst) and eating low points, but unfortunately I think I've screwed myself for weigh-in tomorrow.  Guess I'll have to wait one more week for that damn 5% sticker. 

No comments:

Post a Comment