Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Have Your Baseball And Your Work-Out Too!

We are only 3 and a half weeks into the baseball season, and already I'm finding it hard to fit in time for exercise when the Boys of Summer are in town.  Let's face it, I'm not a morning person.  I can get up and head to the gym a couple of mornings for about a week and then sleep takes over.  I much prefer to get my activity in after work.  But with 81 baseball games to contend with this summer, I'm finding this could be really difficult. 

I went to the ball game last night with my parents.  My mom is doing WW with me.  We decided that to get in some movement we would do 3 laps around the ballpark.  The nice thing about Kauffman stadium is that no matter where you are in the ballpark (with the exception of the designated smoking area) you can keep an eye on the game, whether it be a direct view of the field, or on one of them many TV screens around the park.  Our 3 laps took us almost an hour (we had a couple of short stops along the way), and we didn't really miss much of the game.  Then it hit me.  I can do this for every game this summer! 

I don't have to give up my work-outs just because the Royal's are in town!  When I got home and told my husband, he upped the ante.  At Kauffman, there are stilll 2 of the old spiral ramps that lead from the ground level to the upper deck.  I hate going up them because I get winded.  I would much rather take the escalator and say hi to our favorite usher, Bob, on the way.  But what if I walked up one ramp, across the back of the stadium, and down the other a couple of times before games?  It would definately get my heart rate up.  I don't think it would take me the hour that walking all the way around the park would take, but it would definately be at a higher intensity.  There are also stairs at either end of the upper deck that I could use to get to my seats.  Do you think anyone would look at me funny if I was jogging around the outer concourse with my headphones in doing my C25K? :)

1 comment:

  1. LOVE IT! When I read the first line I thought, I know there are easy and exercise options to get into our stadiums here.... Great ideas!

    ReplyDelete