Tuesday, April 12, 2011

The Importance Of The Buddy System

When we were kids, we were taught about the buddy system.  Whether it was for field trips, swimming, or crossing the street, parents/teachers/adults realized that it was important to do things in pairs.  When it comes to weight loss, it's extremely important to have a buddy.  We actually talked about this a few weeks back during our meeting.  A buddy can help you stay accountable for getting up and going to meeting (I go on Saturday mornings at 7:45 and definately need that help), staying on plan, and getting to the gym.  They can give you a pep talk when you're down, and give you a reality check when you're completely off-base.  They can celebrate your successes with you, and commiserate on the not-so-good weeks. 

I have been very fortunate to have some awesome buddies since I joined Weight Watchers in January.  I started going with my mom.  We've done it together before.  We can share recipes and ideas, and I know that if I don't get out of bed on Saturdays that I'll get a phone call, and no breakfast (we go out after meetings...I know, I know).  I also have 3 cousins that are doing it with me, and while they don't live near me, we can still keep up with each other through Facebook, the WW website, and my blog.  But I am truely excited to announce my newest Weight Watchers buddy, my husband!  He texted me today and told me that he's going to start doing this with me. 

I can't even begin to tell you how excited I am!  He has always been a huge support to me and this effort.  He's always there to make me feel better after a bad day, give me encouragement, and also give me a swift kick in the pants if I'm making excuses.  He has played a vital role in my weight loss thus far, and now it's only going to get better.  By him joining, it's going to make my life easier, but it's going to make his life easier as well.  He's been doing his own thing to lose weight and has had some good success.  But trying to cook point friendly dinners for myself, and then having to write down all of the nutritional information for him has been a chore, and unfortunately most nights we've just said forget it which hasn't helped him at all.  It's going to help me because now he'll know where I'm coming from on certain things because we're doing the same program.  He's going to be my ultimate buddy.  I know he's going to do fantastic on the new WW plan, and I'm so proud of him!  Thanks Babe!

2 comments:

  1. This is so cool! I get teary eyed reading your blog today because you have got one incredible man! Go Kevin!!!!

    ReplyDelete