Friday, March 11, 2011

Do Or Do Not...There Is No Try

"Do or do not...there is no try."  Ah, the infamous words of Yoda.  He was a small, weird looking creature with a very unique voice, but he was incredibly smart and wise.  All week I've been saying to myself that I'm trying to get back on track.  I'm trying to make time for the gym.  I'm trying to quit smoking.  But I've realized that Yoda is right.  There is no try.  I am quitting smoking.  I am not back on track or making time for the gym.  This quote goes along with what my Weight Watcher leader said the first meeting I went to, "Hoping changes nothing.  A decision changes everything." 

I heard another quote last night that really struck a cord with me.  I was catching up on a couple episodes of The Biggest Loser.  The contestants were sent home for 2 weeks right in the middle of the competition.  One girl came back and lost something like 12 pounds.  When she was on the scale she said, "By saying no to the temptations at home, I was able to say yes to myself."  Wow.  That hit me really hard.  I had never thought about this journey as being able to say yes to myself.  By not tracking, not exercising, and not eating healthy things, I was disrespecting myself.  I wasn't allowing myself to be the best that I can be.  Talk about a mind shift. 

I think the theme of today's blog is quotes because here's another one.  Written on the wall of the Biggest Loser gym, there is as quote from Jillian Michaels - "You have to find a purpose, I cannot build desire."  Awesome, one more thing that smacked me on the forehead.  I hate working out.  It's a chore to me...except water aerobics.  I love water aerobics, but unfortunately my schedule only allows me to make 1 class a week.  So trying to get in more workouts is a huge struggle for me.  You would think that wanting to get healthy and skinny would be enough motivation to get to the gym, but so far that's not proving to be true. 

So here is what I'm going to do this next week.  These are the positive decisions I'm going to make to sucessfully continue on this journey. 
  1. I will track everything I eat this week and only eat the points I have available.
  2. I will work out 3 times during the week.
  3. I will cook dinner instead of going out to eat.

2 comments: