Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Time For A Challenge

So I've decided to run in a 5k in August.  I knew that I was going to need some extra motivation to keep moving during baseball season and I figured this was a good way to accomplish that.  Susan G. Komen is sponsoring a 5k on August 14 in Kansas City.  A few years ago I walked it.  It was hard, but a lot of fun.  I've had several family members with breast cancer so it's a cause near and dear to my heart.  So here I sit, with a little over 19 weeks before race day, and I've got a lot of work ahead of me.  Last night I was chasing the dog around the house and after 2 minutes I was huffing and puffing and had to sit down.

I'm going to be imparting the help of the wonderful Couch 2 5k app.  I've used it before, but have never gotten past week 2.  It's a 9 week program.  It alternates between walking and running for a specific period of time, 3 days a week, and bumps up the run portion each week.  I have a feeling it's going to take me a week to get through week 1 day 1, but that's ok.  At least I'm doing it.  My husband has even sweetened the pot by offering to buy me new clothes if I run the whole thing.  How's that for motivation?

I'm hoping this extra effort will help keep the scale moving in the right direction.  If I stay on plan, I'll be 31 pounds lighter by race day.  That should help tremendously!  I think I'm going to need some mini-goals along the way to help me stay motivated and focused.  I think I'll reward myself for every week of C25K I successfully complete.  Successfully completing week one equals a new pair of work-out pants!

1 comment:

  1. OMG! I so want to do that with you! It would be worth a drive to Kansas City!

    ReplyDelete