Tuesday, March 22, 2011

I Know I'm Being Completely Irrational, But I Need A Moment

I'm bored.  I'm really bored.  I am very quickly losing my drive and motivation for this weight loss journey.  At first it was all fun, and new, and exciting.  The pounds were coming off like clock-work, the plan was easy to follow, and I could still eat the foods that I loved and that most people would have to give up on a diet.  Now, I'm bored.  The newness has worn off.  The pounds are not coming off, in fact I haven't lost anything since February.  The plan is still easy to follow, and I still indulge in foods I love every once in a while, but I'm bored with my menu.  There are only so many different things you can do.  That's probably why previously I'd lose 10 pounds and then gain 20.  I would go eat at every restaurant I loved for 2 or 3 months straight. 

You know what's funny?  I was never a snacker before I joined Weight Watchers...at least during the day at work.  I never brought anything with me other than the occaisional breakfast and lunch.  Now, if I'm not snacking every couple of hours I go crazy!  The sad thing is, I'm so bored with my current snacks I want to hit myself over the head with my keyboard every time I see them in my drawer.  But yet somehow I can't seem to survive the day without them. 

It makes it hard to be excited when you plateau after 2 months for little to no reason.  My first big gain was totally my bad, because I spent the better part of a week eating off plan and not tracking anything that went into my mouth.  I had no idea that was going to stall me out completely.  I figured that if I was really good the following week that pound and a half would just drop off.  Silly me.  How dare I think rationally?

Even water aerobics is getting boring for me.  Last week was not much fun and I just keep thinking about when it would be over.  My muscles were burning like crazy during class, but I wasn't the least bit sore afterwards.  And it didn't help with the scale.  I'm really not looking forward to driving over there for it tomororw.  In fact, the thought of going to the gym at all makes me sleepy.  I've been going for walks with the hubby and the puppy, but those are getting boring as well.  About the only way for someone to get me out of the door for a walk is to bribe me with food in the middle of it.  I know, not real healthy.

More often than not these days I just want to give up and go eat half a cheesecake at Cheesecake Factory, or a couple orders of crab tots at M&S Grill.  But I know that's not going to help me.  I know that's not going to get me over my boredom.  I know I'll hate myself in the morning.  So I keep planning, and tracking, and prepping my food according to the plan and I continue on...bored as ever. 

I guess this just goes to show that this journey is not a sprint, it's a marathon.  I've never been good at sticking with things long term.  I think I have ADD.  I get bored easily and I'm at that point right now.  Something needs to excite me, and quick, or I could be in trouble!

3 comments:

  1. AMEN SISTER! Just remember, "I don't wanna be fat no more!" LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really think you should share this post with Martha. I am sure she has been there and done that. She may have some words of wisdom or encouraqement or tricks up her sleeve that you or I have not thought of that could help you out of the boredome slump. I hate to see you throw in the towel. Remember how much better you feel when you eat healthy? That is worth a lot, And it is okay to eat something that seems really decadent for you once in a while. Like, split a lava cake or big brownie with ice cream on top or a piece of cheesecake from CheeseCake Factory with a friend. You still get the decadence of the desert but not all of the fat and calories. It's a lot better than eating it all yourself. Or go to M&S Grill and have those Crab Tots but order a salad or vegies to go with them instead of potatoes or pasta. I dunno...maybe you have already thought of all htese things and I am just preaching to the choir. If so, I'm sorry. I'm just thinking out loud about ways that I might be able to help you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I second everything that MLT said! Everything!
    Maybe you should try walking in a new place; maybe an air-conditioned mall and after you've been a few times you will start seeing trends and maybe the same people or something interesting. You seem to like tracking stuff! Or maybe you could also start analyzing your intake more, down to teeny tiny details and percentages if you like that sort of thing. I will try to think of some snack suggestions for you. Also, I am pretty good at doing healthy makeovers for recipes so if you need some help or resources to jazz things up don't hesitate to ask. I really like that you have shared this. I took am struggling with trying to get motivated and moving.

    ReplyDelete