Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Forgive Me, But I'm Lazy

Yes, you read that right...I'm lazy.  And I fully admit to it.  If there is a short-cut, I will take it.  If something can be put off until tomorrow, I procrastinate.  Especially when it's something I really don't want to do.  Most of the time, that involves cooking.  Every once in a while I will get a crazy notion and cook some huge, elaberate dinner.  But that is not the norm.  That happens maybe twice a year...and that's a huge maybe.  I prefer to have someone else do the cooking and cleaning, which is probably why I spend a good quarter of my paycheck at different restaurants.  But those restaurants are playing havoc with my weight loss journey and it needs to end.  I need to make my own food at home.  That way I can better control the points and the portion size without having to guess. 

In an effort to do more food prep at home, I went to the grocery store and bought a whole bunch of what most would call convenience food.  Lets face it, I will never be a "clean" eater.  I'm just not cut out to prepare every meal from scratch and stick to only fresh fruits and veggies, as well as fresh cuts of meat.  Like I said in the intro, I'm lazy.  I don't see that changing any time soon.  But just because I prefer quick, easy, processed foods to fresh foods that take forever to prepare, doesn't mean I have to eat poorly. 

Take for instance my lunch for today.  I have a wonderful plate consisting of roast turkey and gravy, mashed sweet potatoes, and broccoli with cheddar sauce.  And I prepared all of it in the microwave in about 10 minutes last night.  The entire, well balanced meal is only 345 calories, or 8 points.  Yes, I realize these products are higher in sodium than if I had prepared them fresh myself, but for me, the trade-off is worth it. 

I'm finding that it helps me a lot to have these quick solutions on hand for meals.  That way I'm not agonizing about what I have to cook, and how I don't have time, nor do I want to.  It makes it less tempting to heat up that can of Spaghettio's with Meatballs I still have sitting in my pantry, or running to a fast food restaurant.  Not to mention it's cheaper.  I've also started keeping some Hormel Complete Meals in my desk drawer at work.  They are all low point/calorie, filling, and shelf stable so I don't have to worry about people stealing them out of the fridge.  That way, if I'm too lazy the night before to microwave anything for lunch the next day, I always have one of these to save me from going out. 

I think I'm finally starting to find ways to make this my lifestyle.  A huge part of it was recognizing who I am and what works for me.  I'm lazy and convenience works for me.  This I am willing and able to do for the rest of my life. 

1 comment:

  1. Is this kinda like the first step is admitting you have a problem? LOL I'm so proud of you and the dedication you have to creating a new life for yourself!

    ReplyDelete