Thursday, March 10, 2011

The Lenten Season

Yesterday marked the first day of Lent.  I'm not too happy with Lent right now.  This year I'm giving up 3 things: going out to lunch during the work week, Kit Kats, and smoking.  You'd think, that out of these 3 things, the hardest thing for me to give up would be smoking.  I thought that too Tuesday night.  Oddly enough, it hasn't been too bad.  Ok, so yesterday morning was rough and I did cry at my desk for a minute.  But today hasn't been so bad.

Even the Kit Kats haven't been as hard as I thought.  Now, granted, today was the first time I've been faced with the temptation.  They had them in the check-out line at Office Depot.  But I just glanced past them.  No big deal.

What's really killing me is not going out to lunch during the work week.  It's so boring to just sit at my desk during my lunch break, especially now that I'm not getting outside for smoke breaks.  I'm thinking once the weather warms up I may start walking at lunch, but for now it's miserable.  I could go shopping, like I did today, but then I would spend money on things I don't need.  I do live close enough to go home for lunch, but letting the puppy out of her kennel for 40 minutes doesn't work.  She doesn't want to go back in.  Today I just had a really tough craving.  I wanted sweet potato fries from The Mixx.  I was trying to justify it in my head.  I had already said I would allow myself to go to the market and get a salad from the salad bar.  The Mixx serves salads.  I could get a salad, and then add the fries.  But I refrained. 

I think I still cheated a little bit on lunch though.  I haven't been feeling well for the last couple of days, today being the worst I've felt.  Well, whenever I'm sick, I always want Dorito's and Sprite.  So after I bought my photo paper, I went to the drug store and picked up a bag of Dorito's and a bottle of Diet Sprite to have as my lunch. 

I know most people usually give "up" something for Lent.  I'm giving up 3 things.  But I've also decided that I'm going to "do" something.  I'm going to blog every day.  I haven't been keeping up with it for the last few weeks and it's starting to show on the scale.   I need the accountability.  This may end up being the hardest thing for me these next 39 days!  Sometimes it's hard to force out an idea that isn't there.  But I'm going to do my best to make an entry every day.

1 comment:

  1. I'm impressed and motivated by the height you have set the bar for yourself! You could use your lunch time to do your blog ;~)

    ReplyDelete